Even before kids are in school, their education begins at home. Learning is fun as when kids are young and we’re so glad PBS has great shows for them. One of their PBS Kids shows we absolutely love is Word World – a world that is built out of words, and helps kids learn to read and with word association. This month, they released their latest video filled will fun episodes for your preschool aged kids.
We were sent a copy of Word World: Let’s Make Music! A fun music filled DVD with eight episodes focusing on the arts and the word associated with them. “WordWorld” was developed with funding from the U.S. Department of Education as part of the Ready To Learn initiative. Incorporating the latest research into the most effective ways for kids to build reading skills, “WordWorld” produces delightful educational experiences for preschool children, on screen, in print, and online. “WordWorld” is owned by General Word LP.
Episodes included on Let’s Make Music!
- “Dancing Dog” It’s the day of the WordWorld Concert and no one is more excited than Dog – he loves music. Unfortunately, he can’t play an instrument. With the help of his good friend Bear, Dog discovers that anyone can make music!
- “Duck Plays the Piano” When Bug, Bee, and Fly keep interrupting Duck’s piano lesson, Duck learns that some things are worth waiting for. He also learns that when a word has lots of sounds in it, you can build it sound by sound.
- “The Dancing Duck Bonanza” Duck encourages Shark, who is a great underwater dancer, to dance in his show. When Shark comes up on land to practice, he flops all over the stage like a…well, a fish out of water. But the show must go on! Duck must find a way to put on his show and include Shark.
- “A Star is Born” Duck gets a case of stage fright while singing “Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star” for all his WordFriends. Instead of singing the word “star,” Duck freezes and blurts out the first thing he sees. With a little word building, Sheep and Ant solve Duck’s problem, and soon a “star” is born.
- “Boppin’ with the Bug Band” Ant is having a band showcase on his radio show and while Bug, Fly, and Bee have some really good music, they need a lot of help with their lyrics. Frog teaches the Bug Band all about rhyming and they eventually give a fantastic performance.
- “Radio Read-a-Thon” Duck asks Frog to read his favorite book on Ant’s radio station because he can’t read it himself. But when Frog’s tongue gets tangled in knots, Duck realizes that he doesn’t need to know how to read to be able to look at pictures and tell a great story.
- “Dog’s Having a Party” Dog and Duck want to throw a house party at Dog’s house. But all they have is the letter “H,” and they don’t know what to do with it! With the help of Sheep, they soon realize that “H” is a fabulous letter; with it they can make hotdogs, hats, hula-hoops, and a great party indeed. Hurray!
- “Bed Bugs” When the Bugs accidentally break Frog’s brand new bed, they scramble to put it back together and make things right. Just one problem: they can’t tell the letters “b” and “d” apart! Can they figure out which letter is which – and rebuild Frog’s bed – before Frog returns home?
“LET’S MAKE MUSIC!” will be available on DVD now. The DVD run time is approximately 100 minutes and is rated G.