There are certain tastes we associate with summer and for me one of them is watermelon. It’s sweet, it’s crisp and one I absolutely love. Now, add it to a fruity beverage like lemonade – it’s the perfect blend of summer flavors. This recipe adds in mint that gives it a bit of a fresh spice, and if you wanted you could add some fruity alcohol to the mix to kick it up for your adult parties. It only takes a few minutes to toss together, but it’s a taste of everything you wanted this summer and helps hydrate and refresh you at the same time!
- 6 cups fresh watermelon, rinds removed and cut into chunks
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice (6-8 medium lemons)
- 1/2 cup cold water, (plus more, if needed)
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, tightly packed with stems removed
- fresh mint sprigs, for garnish
- lemon slices, for garnish
- Simple Syrup (Optional)
- Add watermelon chunks, lemon juice and ½ cup cold water to a blender and blend until liquefied. Pour through a fine mesh strainer to remove any larger particles. Taste and add more water, if needed. Sweeten with mint-infused simple syrup, if desired.
- Bruise ½ c. fresh mint leaves with fingers to release oils and add to the bottom of a large glass pitcher or jar. If serving immediately, add ice cubes to the container and pour the watermelon mixture over top. Add fresh lemon slices to the container for garnish.
- To serve, pour over ice and add a sprig of fresh mint and a lemon slice for garnish.
- Optional – Add Simple Syrup to your lemonade if you want it sweetened more than what the watermelon brings to the drink.