Have you ever had a craving for your childhood treat but were let down by what you found when you got the ones from the store? We were looking for that perfect Rice Crispy treat recipes we remember from bake sales as kids. Not the boxed ones that you buy now – and had to find one that we loved.
What resulted – was a recipe that is requested so often I just automatically include the ingredients in our shopping at least once a month. They’re sweet, slightly gooey and those pockets of marshmallow wont leave you disappointed !
Brown Butter Rice Crispy Treats
- 8 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 10 oz bags of mini marshmallows, set 2 generous cups marshmallows, aside
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tsp Salt
- 8 cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- Line a 9 x 13” baking pan with aluminum foild, allowing a few extra inches of paper on each end to act as a “sleeve”. This will make removing the marshmallow treats easier after they have cooled. Coat the foil generously with butter to make removing easier.
- In a large non-stick pot, melt butter completely over medium heat. Continue to cook until starts to brown slightly and change color. Add in your vanilla and a pink of salt.
- Add the marshmallows remaining in the bags to the pot and stir until completely melted.
- Add in the cereal and extra 2 cups of marshmallows and mix until well combined.
- Using a spatula, quickly spoon the marshmallow mixture into the parchment lined baking dish and spread until evenly distributed. If marshmallow begins to stick, coat the spatula lightly with butter or non-stick cooking spray and try again. Press down with spatula or fingers until flat. Let cool for an hour before enjoying.
- Remove from pan by lifting out foil. Cut into squares or use cookie-cutters to cut into desired shapes.
This recipe creates a gooey, chewy marshmallow bar. If a crunchier or crispier bar is desired, add an additional 1 to 1 1/2 cups rice cereal.
*This recipe can be prepared as a gluten-free dessert if a crispy or puffed rice cereal is used that does not contain barley malt flavoring. Check the back of the box for an ingredient list if a gluten-free product is desired.