If your family is small, you probably tend to choose the smaller packages of chicken or turkey from the supermarket’s meat case. That way, you have just enough for one meal with no leftovers. The price per pound may be high, though, especially if you choose skinless, boneless cuts. A way to save money is to buy a whole turkey (or at least a large breast), a whole chicken or chicken pieces that come in a large family pack. While you may pay more upfront, you will save money in the long run if you use the leftovers.
Many people don’t like to eat leftovers because they don’t like to eat the same old thing day after day. You can avoid the oh-no-not-leftovers-again lament from your family with a bit of planning. When you cook chicken or turkey, cook more than you need so you have leftovers for future meals. Chicken and turkey are ideal leftovers because they are so versatile. They can be used in casseroles, sandwiches, soups, pasta, omelets, dips and more.
Chicken (or turkey) bean burritos are one delicious, yet quick and easy, way to use leftover chicken or turkey. Though the recipe serves six, it is easy to cut the quantities in half for a smaller family.
Chicken bean burritos – Serves 6
- 2 Tbsp cooking oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce (or to taste)
- 2 Tbsp Tabasco sauce (or to taste)
- 2 tsp ground pepper
- 2 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained (about 1 ¼ cups)
- 1 15-ounce can whole corn, drained (about 1 cup)
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 bunch fresh spinach, washed and drained, stems removed
- 12 corn or flour tortillas
- Sour cream
- Lime wedges
1. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic. Cook until golden.
2. Add the tomatoes and cook until the tomatoes begin to soften.
3. Stir in the tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco and spices.
4. Add the beans, corn and chicken. Mix well. Simmer over low heat until heated through.
5. To assemble the burritos, place two tortillas on each plate. Cover the tortillas with a layer of spinach leaves. Spoon the hot chicken-bean mixture down the center of the tortilla (use about ¼ cup of the mixture per tortilla). Roll up.
6. Serve with sour cream and a squirt of lime juice if desired.
7. To round out the meal, serve Mexican-style rice, chunky salsa and/or guacamole and tortilla chips.