Healthy salad vegetables and fruits really help to balance holiday meals that are usually too heavily laden with rich meats, heavy dressings and stuffing, and overly sweet and fatty desserts. These beautiful southern salads are so tasty they may even become children’s favorite part of holiday meals.
So what makes these salad recipes uniquely southern? Each salad recipe incorporates at least a sprinkling of the premier southern nut – fresh buttery flavored pecans.
Easy Salad Recipe for Pistachio Pecan Ambrosia
- (1) 16 oz Canned Pineapple Chunks
- (1) 16 oz Canned Crushed Pineapple
- 1 cup Maraschino Cherries (halved or quartered)
- (1) 11 oz can Mandarin Oranges (drained)
- 2 small boxes Pistachio Instant Pudding Mix
- 1 cup Coconut (shredded)
- 1 cup Pecans (chopped)
- (2) 8 oz Containers non dairy whipped topping
- 2 cups Sour Cream
- 2 1/2 cups Miniature Marshmallows
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the pineapple, cherries and oranges.
- Sprinkle both packages of the pistachio pudding mix over the fruit and allow to stand for 5 minutes.
- Stir in pecans, coconut and sour cream until well combined.
- Carefully fold in the marshmallows and whipped topping, being sure not to over mix.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
Cranberry Holiday Salad Recipe
- (1) 6 oz package Raspberry Gelatin Mix
- 1 cup Hot Water
- (1) 16 oz can whole- Cranberry Cranberry Sauce
- (1) 20 oz can Crushed Pineapple (undrained)
- 1/3 cup White Wine or Grape Juice
- 1/2 cup Chopped Pecans
- 8 oz Cream Cheese, softened
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- 1/4 cup Chopped Pecan
- In a large bowl, stir gelatin into the hot water until completely dissolved.
- Add the can of cranberry sauce and continue stirring until it is well combined with the gelatin mixture.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and pour into an oblong casserole dish.
- Refrigerate until firm.
- In another bowl, mix together the sour cream, cream cheese and sugar until thoroughly combined.
- Spread the topping mixture over the gelatin.
- Garnish with additional chopped pecans
- Return to refrigerator and chill for 30 minutes before serving.
Holiday Harvest Coleslaw Recipe
- 4 med. Carrots, shredded
- 1 medium head of Cabbage, shredded
- 2 Tbsp Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup Ranch Dressing
- 1/2 cup Raisins or dried Cranberries
- 1 med. Granny Smith Apple, (Chopped)
- 1/2 cup Pecans, (coarsely chopped)
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon (ground)
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- Combine the salad vegetables in a large salad bowl and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the salad dressing ingredients until they are well combined, adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Fold the dressing into the shredded carrots and cabbage
- Chill for six to eight hours to let the salad dressing flavors meld.