After a busy day, there’s nothing better than a good meal. But who wants to spend all that time in the kitchen cooking and making a huge mess? I know we don’t, that’s why after a busy day we love making one pot meals. This Chicken and Summer Squash meal is perfect for those busy nights and has side dished built right in already. One pot, one meal for everyone and one easy dinner!
- ¼ c. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 T. fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1 t. dried oregano
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 lbs. chicken breasts, cubed
- ½ large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small zucchini (or ½ large), sliced thin and cut into half rounds
- 1 small yellow squash (or ½ large), sliced thin and cut into half rounds
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- Sprigs of fresh basil
- Small lemon wedges
- Whisk 3 tablespoons olive oil, 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, oregano, and minced garlic together in a large bowl. Generously season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Place the cubed chicken in a large bowl and pour half the marinade on top. Toss to combine and set aside.
- Add the sliced zucchini and yellow squash to the original bowl with the marinade and toss to combine. Set aside.
- Place a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the remaining tablespoon olive oil and the sliced red onion. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion softens and start to develop some color, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Pour the seasoned chicken into the hot skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through, approximately 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer the chicken and onions to a platter. Set aside.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and add the seasoned zucchini and yellow squash to the skillet. Season with additional salt and black pepper, if desired. Cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp tender and nicely browned, approximately 3-5 minutes.
- Return the chicken, onions, and juices to the skillet and stir to combine. Remove from heat and sprinkle with remaining fresh lemon juice, chopped parsley, and springs of fresh basil. Serve immediately with additional lemon wedges, if desired. Enjoy!