Have you ever watched a movie and watched them enjoy something so much that you just have to have it yourself? Maybe it’s a warm hot peppermint cocoa from Noelle, an ice cream sundae from Serendipity or that egg sandwich from Birds of Prey. But the food in movies inspires us, and teases us a lot.
In an Focus Features latest release Irresistible – the latest food item to tingle our taste buds was a mouth watering struesel that the main character Gary (played by Steve Carell) keeps enjoying. He enjoys it so much that it leads to dreams of the food in more than one way.
The treat looked so good, so we had to make some ourselves – with only a few changes along the way. In the movie, the strusel is blueberry – which aren’t quiet in season here yet, so we grabbed some delicious strawberries in stead. We also wanted to make sure ours were small enough to enjoy and take with us, so we made muffins and of course ours are gluten free.
The result? Mouth watering muffins that are more dessert than breakfast and deceptively easy to make!
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup gluten free all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, chilled and cut into tiny pieces
- 3 cups gluten free all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 and 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 large egg plus 2 large egg yolks
- 1 and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 and 1/2 cups strawberries, coarsely chopped
- 2 Tbsp gluten free all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp of milk
- Combine your gluten free flour, butter, spices and sugar in one bowl and cut together until everything is the consistency of coarse sand.
- Place in the fridge until you’re ready to use it.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees
- Line your muffin tins with papers. Our batch made 18 muffins, so prepare 2 pans in case you need more space.
- In a large bowl, sift together your dry ingredients – flour, baking powder, spices and salt and set aside.
- With your stand mixers cream together your butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in your egg and yolks one at a time until well incorporated and add in vanilla.
- Add in your dry ingredients, alternating between the dry ingredients and milk until everything is incorporated.
- In a small bowl, toss together your strawberries and 2 Tbsp of gluten free all purpose flour. Use a spoon and fold in the berries.
- Fill your muffin papers 2/3 of the way using all of your batter. Place a handful of your crumb topping on top of each.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan for a few minutes before moving to a wire rack.
- In a small bowl whisk together your glaze ingredients until thick and smooth. Drizzle over the top of the muffins before serving.
- Store muffins in an air tight container for a few days!
Although we were inspired by the movie to make our own strusel, we are more than happy to partner with Focus Features and help support a local bakery at the same time. Since we’re gluten free, we’re giving away two gift cards to Gluten Free Specialties! Focus Features has provided us with two $50 gift cards for our readers where you can get your own delicious gluten free goodies (and they ship nation wide too!)
How Can You Win?
Leave a comment below about your favorite summer treat or gluten free baked good! Then use the form to enter!
Two winners will get a $50 gift card to Gluten Free Specialties. Don’t forget to check out Irresistible on demand on June 26th and check out our full review on Monday!
From writer/director Jon Stewart comes the comedy of a Democrat political consultant (Carell) who helps a retired Marine colonel (Cooper) run for mayor in a small Wisconsin town.
The film is written and directed by Jon Stewart. It is produced by Stewart, Lila Yacoub and Plan B Entertainment’s Dede Gardner and Jeremy Kleiner.
You might also like...
Latest posts by Becky (see all)
- Gluten Free Double Nut Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe - October 26, 2020
- Overcome & Improve: Solving The Problems You Live With At Home - October 26, 2020
- From Movie Sets, a Rich History and Hauntings – Inside the Ohio State Reformatory - October 25, 2020