Every super hero has one thing in common – and it’s not their super powers. Instead, it’s their uniform, or super suit as it’s referred to in the Incredibles. It’s instantly recognizable, sets them apart from the public and often becomes part of their identity. But what goes into the perfect costume for a super hero or their supporting characters? With the sage advice of Edna Mode from the first movie “No Capes!” we wanted to know a bit more about what actually goes into making the costume design of our favorite animated Super family.
While at Pixar last month, we were able to sit down with the team that not only designed the costumes of the characters but brought them to the screen. The team includes Shading Art Director Bryn Imagire, Tailoring Lead Fran Kalal and Character Artist Deanna Marsigliese, each bringing their unique talent and expertise to make the outs believable, fit the characters and the theme of the movie.
Incredibles 2 is set in the late 1950’s to the early 1960’s so the majority of the focus of the design was to make sure the clothing style didn’t feel out of place within the world of the Incredibles and the architecture and vehicles that are surrounding them. The style from the 1950’s and 60’s is so iconic that finding someone who knew the style well, and fabrics well was important. This is when Pixar brought Deanna Marsigliese to the team for this job. Deanna not only knows about the fashions of the time, but wears authentic pieces as part of her daily wardrobe. She brought in items to show as she explained part of her process. It wasn’t just about making sure the clothing looked right, but that the fabrics were era appropriate as well. She was able to instruct team members not only on the way the outfit would fall on the body, but how the fabric would react in different circumstances.
With a new movie, over a decade after the first, Incredibles 2 brings new and updated outfits for virtually all of the characters. Since the movie focuses on Eslastigirl her costume gets a major upgrade as well. Focusing on materials that are plastic/vinyl like that would have been available in the 60’s with a bit of glam and glitter. Her new outfit is reminiscent of the one she had before she got married and has an iconic and nostalgic feel and look to it.
But costume design doesn’t stop at the core characters and the bad guys. Instead, the world of the the Incredibles is filled with extras and people throughout. From new characters like Evelyn Deavor, Winston Deavor, Voyd and even a long list of new bad guys. Each comes with their own super style that is highlighted in their custom and can tell you a lot about the character just by what they are wearing. The every day people in the film are dressed with a variety of outfits that were able to be sized and re-purposed for different body types and styles created throughout the world.
In the first Incredibles movie, our main focus icon was Edna Mode, and she’s still a main player in this movie. But her style is upgraded, and her closet has expanded. Different fabrics were tested on the character, and during animation tests some accidents actually ended up being the favorite results. Fabrics don’t always result in the movement you would expect when you try to animated it. Soft fabrics would sometimes render (or animate) stiff and there were times this result turned into the look that was more fitting for Edna. Get ready to check out some more iconic Mode looks, as she works a run way show in the latest movie.
Fashion is a huge part of the time that the Incredibles movies are set in, and the amount work and effort that went into the design is amazing and we can’t wait to see all of the characters come to life in these iconic fashions. You can get your tickets to see Incredibles 2 Now! There are a host of Super opportunities to see “Incredibles 2” in truly Incredible ways.
The Incredibles Double Feature in IMAX:
- On June 13, Incredibles fans can be among the first to experience “Incredibles 2” and relive “The Incredibles” (shown for the first time ever on IMAX screens) at double-feature fan events. In addition to watching the “Incredibles 2” two days before it opens nationwide, attendees will receive a commemorative mini poster.
IMAX at Regal:
- On June 14, the first 1,000 guests who experience “Incredibles 2” in IMAX at Regal Cinemas will receive an exclusive collectible ticket. A poster version of the collectible ticket art will be available to IMAX guests in the Regal Crown Club store. Available while supplies last.
- Fans who see “Incredibles 2” in Cinemark XD opening weekend will receive a collectible poster. Available while supplies last. See site for details.
- As part of the advanced ticketing promotion, at Alamo Drafthouse you can add an exclusive “Incredibles 2” glass by Mondo to your ticket purchase. Fans also have the chance to purchase a one-of-a-kind sketchbook, both designed by artist Dave Perillo.
- Each fan buying tickets to “Incredibles 2” on Fandango will receive a gift-with-purchase. Guests can choose from one of two posters available in the Fandango FanShop, Fandango’s movie merchandise marketplace, while supplies last.
INCREDIBLES 2 opens in theatres everywhere on June 15, 2018!
Watch the Incredibles 2 Trailer:
The Incredibles 2 Movie Poster:
About Incredibles 2:
Everyone’s favorite family of superheroes is back in “Incredibles 2” – but this time Helen (voice of Holly Hunter) is in the spotlight, leaving Bob (voice of Craig T. Nelson) at home with Violet (voice of Sarah Vowell) and Dash (voice of Huck Milner) to navigate the day-to-day heroics of “normal” life. It’s a tough transition for everyone, made tougher by the fact that the family is still unaware of baby Jack-Jack’s emerging superpowers. When a new villain hatches a brilliant and dangerous plot, the family and Frozone (voice of Samuel L. Jackson) must find a way to work together again—which is easier said than done, even when they’re all Incredible.
You might also like...
Latest posts by Becky (see all)
- How to Grow a Salsa Garden - May 30, 2020
- 4 Reasons Why You Need To Start Thinking About Fuel Efficiency - May 29, 2020
- Disney+ Launches the Secret Society of Second Born Royals in July - May 29, 2020