Fruit smoothies are a huge trend right now. Yes, they’re delicious. But they’re also filled with sugars and a bunch of things you probably don’t need in your body. But what if you can make a delicious smoothie that has some healthy items buried inside that your kids wont even know are there?
We love this healthy berry smoothie that will not only hit that sweet spot but give you some of the fuel you need to get moving in the morning.
- 2 large bananas, cut into chunks and frozen
- 1 c. frozen strawberries
- 1 c. frozen raspberries
- 2 large red beets, roasted, peeled, and chopped
- 2 c. almond milk, unsweetened**
- 6-8 large ice cubes
- 1 T. chia seeds***
- Optional: 4 sprigs fresh mint, for garnish
- Add the frozen bananas, berries, beets, almond milk, and ice cubes to a high-speed blender. Cover and blend on the highest setting until completely smooth and creamy, approximately 2 minutes. If necessary, add a little water to reach the desired consistency if the mixture is too thick.
- Divide between 4 glasses or mason jars and top each serving with some chia seeds. Garnish each glass or jar with a sprig of fresh mint, if using, and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Note: Raw or roasted beets can be used in this recipe. However, roasted beets will yield a smoother texture. To save time on busy mornings, wash and wrap the beets in aluminum foil and toss into a hot oven for approximately 1 hour while making dinner throughout the week. Store roasted beets in the refrigerator for several days until ready to use.