Traditionally, Christmas is a time when people enjoy homemade baked goods and treats. This can be a challenge for people who have a gluten intolerance. However, it is possible for them to enjoy treats like these spicy gluten-free cranberry muffins that are easy to prepare.
While they are baking, the ingredients in these gluten-free cranberry muffins give off that spicy aroma, conjuring up traditional images of Christmas and the abundance of homemade treats.
Health Benefits of Cranberries
According to the Reader’s Digest book Foods that Harm, Foods that Heal, Cranberries, a tart tasting relative of blueberries and huckleberries, is a source of vitamin C and fiber. They also contain bioflavonoids, which are believed to help protect eyesight, as well as helping to prevent cancer.
Cranberries grow wild in boggy regions, but those found in stores are usually cultivated. They are at their best when they are firm, bright red and bounce.
Gluten-free Spicy Cranberry Christmas Muffins Recipe
The oven is pre-heated to 400 degrees F and 12 muffin cups are greased or lined with paper cups.
The following ingredients are sifted together in a mixing bowl:
- 2 cups gluten-free flour
- 1 tsp guar gum
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- pinch of cloves
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
Note: Spices can be increased according to taste.
The following ingredients are beaten together in a mixing bowl:
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk or rice milk (more if needed)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (sunflower is used here)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (3/4 cup for a sweeter muffin)
Note: Extra sugar reduces the tart taste of the berries.
- The beaten wet ingredients are added to the dry ingredients and beaten for about 30 seconds.
- 1 cup of washed cranberries are folded into the mixture. Depending on individual preference, the berries can be left whole or chopped coarsely. Adding 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts is optional.
- The mixture is spooned evenly into the muffin cups and baked at 400 degrees F for about 20 minutes, depending on the oven.
Simple Orange Glaze for Gluten-free Cranberry Muffins
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- All of the ingredients are heated over low heat in a saucepan until the sugar is dissolved.
- The glaze is spooned over the baked muffins.
A gluten intolerance need not deprive any individual of the traditional flavors and smells of homemade baked goods at this festive time of year. Treats like these spicy cranberry muffins are perfect to enjoy and share.