Love is in the air – can you feel it! It’s time to get ready for Valentine’s Day and your own Sweet Babboo! This year Peanuts sent me a package filled with love and great new Peanuts Valentine’s day products. Inside we have everything from craft boxes, crayons, stickers, A Charlie Brown Valentine, an early reader book, chocolates and even PEZ! Besides being extremely adorable – the box instantly makes you feel loved!
Are you ready for Valentines and some sweet Valentine’s goodies? Here are some fun facts about Peanuts Comic Strips and Valentine’s Day:
- Over the years, Charles Schulz created dozens of Valentine’s Day-themed comic strips.
- Many of the strips revolve around Charlie Brown’s eagerness to receive valentines…only to be disappointed, every. single. time. In several of the strips, Charlie Brown watches forlornly as Snoopy sits atop his doghouse reading his stacks of valentines—while his own mailbox remains doggedly empty.
- At other times, Charlie Brown’s stomach is in knots as he focuses on getting a valentine from the Little Red-Haired Girl or giving one to her, but he never quite manages to get up the nerve to approach her.
- In real life, the Little Red-Haired Girl was a co-worker of Schulz’ named Donna Johnson Wold. Wold and Schulz eventually became romantically involved and dated for three years, but in 1950 when Schulz proposed to her, she turned him down, saying she was already engaged. Schulz was devastated, but he and Donna remained friends for the rest of his life.
- Most recently, the Little Red-Haired Girl took center stage in the critically acclaimed The Peanuts Movie, which debuted in November 2015. The film marks the first time the character, voiced by Francesca Capaldi of Disney’s “Dog with a Blog,” speaks.
- Other recurring stories of unrequited love include Lucy pestering Schroeder for a valentine and Sally pursuing Linus (in vain) by giving him a valentine.
- Sally’s pet name for Linus, “Sweet Babboo,” was inspired by Schulz’ wife, Jeannie Schulz, who called her husband the same thing. Linus apparently feels differently about the pet name than Schulz did—almost every time Sally uses the term of endearment, Linus screams, “I’m not your Sweet Babboo!”
There are so many ways you can show your love for your own Sweet Babboo or love of your life! Every year, Charlie Brown, Snoopy and the rest of the Peanuts gang can be found on hundreds of different Valentine’s Day gifts, including cards, plush, books, candy and much more. This year, for the first time, Oriental Trading is offering an array of colorful Peanuts toys, party supplies, and crafts for Valentine’s Day. Also new are adorable Peanuts Pez and a ready-to-read book, called Happy Valentine’s Day, Charlie Brown, from Simon and Schuster. And, returning by popular demand, are Whitman’s chocolates featuring a Snoopy plush, A Charlie Brown Valentine DVDs from Warner Home Entertainment, and holiday cards from Hallmark.
What can you win?
- Oriental Trading’s treat box to color
- Crayons and Stickers
- Snoopy and Woodstock Pez
- Simon and Schuster’s Happy Valentine’s Day Charlie Brown
- A Charlie Brown Valentine from Warner Home Entertainment
- Whitman’s chocolates featuring a Snoopy plush
- a Valentine card from Hallmark.
Enter to win with the form below. The mandatory entry is leaving a comment on this blog post telling me: What your favorite Peanuts Valentine’s Comic Strip or product. Or tell me what your plans are for Valentine’s Day! If you do not do this entry – you will not win! So make sure you leave a comment and then enter using the form below!