In a couple weeks, an important day is coming. No, we’re not talking about Valentine’s Day, but instead the release of Fifty Shades Darker in theaters. The highly anticipated second film in the Fifty Shades series brings back the main characters and follows the second book in the series. To celebrate the release of the film, Universal Pictures sent us a great party pack so we could host a Fifty Shades Darker Masquerade party with our friends.
Before we had the party, I actually hadn’t even seen Fifty Shades of Grey yet! With the sequel coming out, it was the perfect time to get some friends together and watch the original movie. All of our guests were treated to a goody bag filled with Fifty Shades Darker goodies like a copy of the book, a vanity bag, masquerade masks, lip balm and some shirts that are so soft to the touch – they’re perfect to snuggle in while reading the book – we still have time before the movie is in theaters!
After a long week, a friend had us all over at her place to watch the first movie, have a glass Fifty Shades of Grey White Silk wine and some gluten free double chocolate cake with a strawberry cream filling (recipe below). The combination of chocolate and wine is always a great way to end a night, and to spend the night with friends is an even better way to celebrate.
With the dessert, wine and movie ready – all we had to do was add friends and some fun. The movies and books make the perfect story for a girls night – leave the guys and kids at home, or in another room! We had a great time getting together, and I’m happy to say I wasn’t the only one who hadn’t seen the first movie yet. But now we’re caught up and ready for to catch Fifty Shades Darker in theaters on February 10th. We’re planning another girls night to see it!
Are you looking forward to seeing Fifty Shades Darker in theaters on the 10th? Now is the perfect time to rent or buy Fifty Shades of Grey and have your own masquerade party to get caught up on the story! You can get Fifty Shades of Grey on DVD and Blu-Ray to watch before the sequel comes out, and still have time to read Fifty Shades Darker before the movie comes out.
Want to make your own Fifty Shades Darker Double Chocolate Cake for your party? Here’s our recipe!
- 1 cup White Rice Flour
- 3/4 cup Tapioca Starch
- 3/4 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Milk
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Freshly Brewed Coffee
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease and flour (with white rice flour) 2 9 inch round cake pans.
- In a large bowl combine your white rice flour, tapioca starch, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk together until well combined.
- In your mixer bowl combine your milk, vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla extract. Beat until smooth.
- Slowly integrate your dry ingredients into your wet mixture until everything is combined. Once smooth, add your hot coffee – don’t worry, it won’t taste like coffee when you’re done!
- Pour half of each mixture into your prepared pans. Tap both pans gently on the counter to remove any extra air bubbles.
- Bake for 22-26 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Strawberry Cream Filling Ingredients:
- 6 Large Strawberries washed and hulled
- 1/2 stick of butter, room temperature
- 2 Tbsp Milk
- 3 cups Powdered Sugar
Strawberry Cream Filling Directions:
- In a small bowl, crush or puree your strawberries with an immersion blender until smooth (you can also do this in a traditional blender).
- In your mixer bowl beat together your butter and powdered sugar until light and fluffy. Add milk as needed to make spreadable. Add in your strawberries and mix on medium speed for 1 minute until smooth.
- 2 cups of Butter, room temperature (4 sticks)
- 8 cups of Powdered Sugar (+/-)
- 1/4 cup Milk
- Black Food Coloring
- Combine your butter and powdered sugar in your mixing bowl. Add powdered sugar and milk until you get the right consistency for spreading and for piping.
- Add in black food coloring to get the shades of grey you want (it’s easier to start with lighter and get darker as you go!)
Finishing Your Cake:
- Once your cake is completely cool, layer your cake and strawberry filling.
- Frost with a layer of grey, and decorate with different shades of grey roses on the edges.
- For added fun, I created a stencil with the word Darker and put that on the top in black glitter.
Intrigued? Watch the office Fifty Shades Darker Trailer:
About Fifty Shades Darker:
Jamie Dornan and Dakota Johnson return as Christian Grey and Anastasia Steele in Fifty Shades Darker, the second chapter based on the worldwide bestselling “Fifty Shades” phenomenon. Expanding upon events set in motion in 2015’s blockbuster film that grossed more than $560 million globally, the new installment arrives for Valentine’s Day and invites you to slip into something a shade darker. Fifty Shades Darker will be in theaters on February 10th is is a great way to head out with the girls or to celebrate Valentine’s Day!
Get your tickets to see Fifty Shades Darker on Fandango today.