Remember this classic recipe is gluten free, but can be adapted for anyone.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup White Rice Flour*
- 1/2 cup Tapioca Starch*
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk
* You can also use 1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour if you don’t have to make this gluten free!
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Add milk, dry mixture and water until well combined. End on a wet ingredient.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Frost cupcakes.
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting:
- 1/2 cup Room Temperature Butter
- 4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 Tbs Vanilla Extract – You can used clarified if you have it for pure white frosting.
- 3 Tbs heavy cream
Combine all ingredients in your mixer. Mix until smooth. If your frosting is too loose add more powdered sugar!
This recipe is part of the Food Challenge with two other bloggers. You can check out the recipes below for this challenge! Each month we’ll be doing another challenge – let us know if you try any of the recipes!