Easter is right around the corner and of course we’re celebrating with Peanuts! They sent us a great Easter package for the holiday, and one to give to a reader all to get ready for spring, Easter and of course the Easter Beagle!
We love including Snoopy and the Peanuts gang into our holidays and traditions, but none of that would be possible without the original Peanuts comic strips.
How did the Easter Beagle get started?
A Hopping Debut
- Snoopy first appeared as “the Easter Bunny” on April 14, 1968, but Charles Schulz did not give the character the name “the Easter Beagle” until three years later.
- In that first 1968 strip, Linus was the only one to witness “the Easter Bunny” dancing around the front yard and hiding eggs in the bushes—Lucy was too busy watching television to notice.
- On Sunday, April 11, 1971, the Easter Beagle made his official comic-strip debut. Again, Linus was the first one to interact with him (although it’s Lucy who gets the Beagle kiss!).
- As with the Great Pumpkin, Linus is often the Easter Beagle’s messenger in the comic strips, alerting the other characters to the upcoming appearance of the Easter Beagle.
- During his April 2, 1972 appearance, the Easter Beagle delivers eggs to the members of the Peanuts gang…but discovers his basket is empty when he gets to Charlie Brown. This idea was adapted into the animated television special.
- Fortunately, the following year, on April 22, 1973, Charlie Brown does receive an Easter egg—this time from the Easter Beagle’s assistant: Woodstock!
- After two more Easter Beagle strips in 1975 and 1976, the character made his last appearance on April 7, 1985—when Sally got the Charlie Brown treatment.
- Charles Schulz once said in an interview that the Easter Beagle was his favorite of all of Snoopy’s alter egos.
We agree with Schulz and absolutely love the Eater Beagle, and bringing him in our home for the holidays as well! You can bring the Easter Beagle into your family traditions too by entering to win this great prize package of your own!
- An irresistible Easter Beagle porch greeter, delivering happiness to every household
- A DVD of It’s the Easter Beagle, Charlie Brown, offering holiday joy all year round
- Candy! (What Easter basket would be complete without it?) You’ll enjoy chocolate Easter eggs and delicious fruit sugar candies.
How Can You Win?
Enter to win with the form below. The mandatory entry is leaving a comment on this blog post telling me: What is your favorite Easter tradition? or what is your favorite Snoopy alter ego? If you do not do this entry – you will not win! So make sure you leave a comment and then enter using the form below!