We often take for granted every day things in our lives like clean water. At any time in my house I’m no more than 20-30 feet from a source of fresh drinkable water, and know I can use the water I get from the tap. Not everyone in the world is that lucky as we are and some have to walk miles just to get water every day. Six kilometers (approximately 3.7 miles) is the average distance that people in the developing world – often women and young girls – walk for water each day. This walk can be dangerous, and the water is often contaminated with life-threatening diseases. Because of this, World Vision is doing a Global 6K to help bring awareness to to this struggle and help raise money for people that live in these areas. We’ve partnered with World Vision to help spread the word about this special event.
On Saturday, May 6, 2017, 40,000 people from around the globe will join together to walk or run 6 kilometers to raise awareness of the global water crisis and support World Vision’s water initiatives through the World Vision Global 6K for Water. Each participant’s $50 registration fee supports World Vision’s water programs and each participant will receive a Global 6K for Water t-shirt, a race bib with a photo of a child he or she can sponsor, and a race medal in the mail.
How can you get involved:
- Become a Global 6K Host Site: Work together with your church, school, community center or run club to register as a host site (it’s free!) and spread the word about how fun and easy it is to support clean water programs around the world! Whether your goal is 10 or 100 people, World Vision will equip you with all the marketing materials, race day signage and staff support for a successful race day. If you can’t become a host site, considering running or walking with other Global 6K for Water participants at a host site near you.
- Start a Global 6K Virtual Team: Invite friends and family all around the country to join your “team” even though you will each be walking or running from your own neighborhoods on race day. Even those who wish to participate individually, whether on a treadmill or around the neighborhood, can take part in a global effort to support clean water!
- Turn Coffee into Clean Water: Even small amounts of money can make a big difference for families around the world. Once a week, put the money that might normally be used to purchase your morning latte toward a “clean water fund.” Over the course of a year, you could set aside as much as $250 to support World Vision’s water programs.
- Change a Life Through Child Sponsorship: Poverty is complex and rarely solved by one intervention. Sponsoring a child is a long-term way to get involved with World Vision and help a child – and his or her entire community – benefit from things like clean water through new or renovated wells, school fees and supplies, better education due to restored schools and teacher training, improved nutrition due to agricultural training, and healthcare clinics and immunizations.
- Become a Part of Team World Vision: The Global 6K for Water is just one event organized by Team World Vision, a group of passionate people who run, walk and race to help children get clean water. Join Team World Vision for support in reaching your own fitness goals while helping others around the world.
One of our readers will win a Global 6K prize package with a water bottle and T-shirt to participate and raise awareness. Read how you can win below!
How Can You Win?
Enter to win with the form below. The mandatory entry is leaving a comment on this blog post telling me: How will you get involved in the Global 6K if you can. Or what item from World Vision would you gift to someone to help support a developing nation. If you do not do this entry – you will not win! So make sure you leave a comment and then enter using the form below!
You might also like...
Latest posts by Becky (see all)
- Learn More about Oswald the Lucky Rabbit and His Complicated Past - September 25, 2017
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Snickerdoodle Recipe - September 24, 2017
- Relax After School with Peanuts with these Great Books + Giveaway - September 23, 2017